'Knitting and Crocheting Group'

For everyday non-beach stuff
Idona
South Beach Friend
Healthy Plan Start Date: 21 Jan 2008

'Knitting and Crocheting Group'

Post by Idona » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:01 pm

Is there a knitting group on this forum? I am newibe to knitting and love it! I would love to join a group for knitters on here if there is one available. All are welcome to join us here.

Idona,
http://cancersupportsite.proboards.com
www.flickr.com/photos/14548372@N02

Break the rules!
Forgive quickly!
Kiss slowly!
Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably..
And never regret anything that made you smile.

Idona
South Beach Friend

Re: Knitting/Knitters Group

Post by Idona » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:42 am

Hummmm.........guess not. I find knitting relaxing myself. I was hopeing there was a group here where we could share ideas and tips.

Idona

Break the rules!
Forgive quickly!
Kiss slowly!
Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably..

ladybugnessa
Site Admin
Healthy Plan Start Date: 29 Dec 2013
Weight Record: 286/169/148

Post by ladybugnessa » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:56 am

there is now!

give it time! i'm sure someone Maybe Aaron will get DGF to join!
Nessa

We come to love not by finding a perfect person,
but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.

JSCsmom
South Beach Superstar
Healthy Plan Start Date: 13 Nov 2008

Post by JSCsmom » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:04 pm

I don't knit... yet. I need to learn how, since I have a great source for yarn. I raise alpacas, and am looking forward to having my first crop of home-grown yarn this spring!

Maybe I will need to get some pointers from you!

Connie
Connie :knitting:

:muffin1: =10 lb lost :muffin1: :muffin1: :muffin1: :muffin1: :muffin1:

Idona
South Beach Friend

Post by Idona » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:09 am

Hi Connie, I love alpaca yarn. I have some on needles right now. I'm making socks for the hubby. You really should learn to knit , It really is not hard to do. It's just two stitches used in many ways .A knit stitch and a purl stitch ,the way in which they are used is called alot of things though. Like Garter stitching or Sockenette stitching Lacey work. It can get confusing when you lean to use them in different patterns. I am still learning. I have been knitting for almost two years now and I love it. The feeling of making something and wearing it is a great feeling. So far I have made : Two pair of socks ,One shrug, One felted pair of clogs,One felted purse and Two dishclothes.

I have a shrug on needles and one sock right now. I can give you some help and some links that will get you started and I have a large book collect on knitting. Which I can share titles with you.

I'll have to look into posting some of my finished projects on here.

Let me know and I'll do my best to help you on the way to knitting.

Idona,

we need some knitting smilies on here!

Break the rules!
Forgive quickly!
Kiss slowly!
Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably..

JSCsmom
South Beach Superstar

Post by JSCsmom » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:49 am

Idona,

I would LOVE some links so I can learn how to knit. I don't even know anyone that knows how, so I am at a little of a disadvantage maybe. I do know how to crochet a little. I don't even know what size needles to buy! And I saw something once that looked like 2 needles connected...?

Please send me the links, and I will get started! I am excited now! :bounce:

Thanks!!!!!!
Connie

burt
South Beach Superstar
Healthy Plan Start Date: 26 Dec 2007

Post by burt » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:13 pm

I knit and crochet. I have been knitting scarves for my DD. They have become so popular. Last week I went to Hobby Lobby and bought one of those looms called called a Knifty Knitter and have made a couple scarves with the real furry thread. They are so cool :nod: and so quick.

I much prefer crocheting and making doilies and tableclothes but knitting is a nice break and seems to go much faster. I love to use the knitted dishclothes for dishes.

Connie there are so many good sites that have great directions and free patterns. I just type in crochet or knitting patters and get thousands of responses. There are also several good forums.

I Was Lucky Enough to Find the Man of My Dreams,
I Was Smart Enough to Marry Him,
and I am Loving Enough to Keep Him With Me

Idona
South Beach Friend

Post by Idona » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:58 pm

http://www.knittinghelp.com/ is the best. It shows video's which are so helpful. There is a chat forum with tons of men and women that knit to help you. My username on the forum is Nanao6 check out my projects.

You will also find alot of people guiding you with all kinds of links to free patterns to how to links. They are a wealth on information there.

I'm on this site to as Kemer, https://www.ravelry.com

Let me know what you think.

Idona,

Break the rules!
Forgive quickly!
Kiss slowly!
Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably..

catwoman
South Beach Friend
Healthy Plan Start Date: 22 Sep 2004

Re: 'Knitting and Crocheting Group'

Post by catwoman » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:26 pm

Hi!

I knit too. :blush:
Not as much as I used to, and I don't think I'm very good at it, but I do find it relaxing. When I've had a hard day at the computer, knitting and watching TV fills the bill.

I've made some of those furry scarves and they do knit up so fast. And I just love how the yarn feels.

Right now I'm doing a "bed jacket" from an old book from around 1970s. It has ribbing for a bit, then you increase a lot and knit in straight garter stitch for A LONG WAY. Then you go back to the ribbing. The ribbing is where you put your arms in and then it just drapes over your shoulders. I think I need a picture.

Last year I knit a sweater in grey ragg wool. I finally put it together this year and I love wearing it. My mother said: Well I guess you can wear it at the cottage." I guess she wasn't impressed. LOL. But I wear it a lot. It's wool and acrylic and nice and warm in this cold land.

So nice to find people who like to knit too.

I'll post on crocheting later.

Debby

rhales199
South Beach Superstar
Healthy Plan Start Date: 14 Oct 2006
Weight Record: 289/220/180

Post by rhales199 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:03 pm

I know how to knit, but I don't think I do it very well. I can do the basic stitches, and don't do any patterns that require much counting (to me counting stitches ISN't relaxing... I like to be able to start something and keep going until I get to the end of the row! I am the same way about crocheting).
I made up my own pattern for a scarf last year, but it turned out too short (and too wide), so I need to do it over. That may be what I do next... I'm in between projects right now.

I love crocheting and am pretty good at it.
The last thing I made was two towel toppers for a neighbor. I don't think they turned out too well, this was my first time making them, but I hope to make more sometime so hopefully they will keep getting better and better!
Two years ago, I got a ton of hangers, so have also been making a lot of hanger covers to give away as presents.

That alpaca yarn sound fun! never tried it myself!

What I like to do, is get my yarn from thrift stores--- usually they put all different sort of colors in bags, so you take what you get... definately makes it interesting. Then I see what I can make out of what I got. Like I said, I've done a scarf, the towel toppers, hanger covers, and I've done a shawl, and I also often will make blankets. I already have plenty of blankets myself, so these I either give to friends or a shelter or give 'back' to the thrift store. For me, it's more about making things. I saw an artilce a few months ago about people that make blankets, sometimes out of scrap pieces of yarn, for aminal shelters (to put on the bottom of the animals' cold, metal pens)... I may start doing that sometime.

talk to ya later!

Becky
If life weren't hard, it wouldn't be worth it!
my journal

Idona
South Beach Friend

Post by Idona » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:41 pm

WooWoo, look at us. Welcome ,Connie,Burt, Debby,and Becky I think we have a group going here!!! :thanks2:

I'll do my best to supply you all with as much information as I can. I love knitting and would like to see this group grow.

http://www.knitpicks.com/sock+knitting+ ... 00106.html has some really nice yarns if your doing socks, and here's a link for some free patterns http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory.php

Here are some more great links and as I pull them out of my files I'll post them for us all .

http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/sweater_wheel.cfm

For our crocheters here is a free pattern for a beautiful sweater,http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/600 ... ?noImages=
http://www.lionbrand.com/content-croche ... x.html?l=1

We need to thank Nessa, I asked for some knitting smilies . I see we have maybe two now!!!! :frogging: :knitting: Sorry if we get any men knitters/crocheters . I don't see the 'guy knitter' yet.

Break the rules!
Forgive quickly!
Kiss slowly!
Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably..

burt
South Beach Superstar
Healthy Plan Start Date: 26 Dec 2007

Post by burt » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:58 pm

This is great!!! A knitting/crocheting group is forming.

Here is the website for the furry scarves that I am knitting.
http://yarngear.com/looms/

The new smileys are a riot...:thumbsup:

Burt

I Was Lucky Enough to Find the Man of My Dreams,
I Was Smart Enough to Marry Him,
and I am Loving Enough to Keep Him With Me

catwoman
South Beach Friend

Post by catwoman » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:54 pm

Burt, that loom looks nifty. I might just try it sometime, because I am totally afraid of socks - turning the heel and all that. My ex-MIL did one for me one time, but I've never done another pair of socks. I have a pattern for a pair of "spiral" bedsocks that I want to try - they don't seem to have a heel. And I always wear socks to bed in the winter here.

Love the smilies too.

Oh, and I'm afraid of crocheting, but that's another story as I said before. :whistling:

Debby

JSCsmom
South Beach Superstar

Post by JSCsmom » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:24 pm

I have actually made a hat using the loom, but I figure that was "cheating" somehow! I do crochet a little, have made some doilies, and an afghan or 2, but that's about it. I am going to the store at lunch to see about picking up some needles!

Idona
South Beach Friend

Post by Idona » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:53 pm

Burt thanks for the link, I want to get one of those.

Connie,it's not cheating if you like what your doing!

Debby, I've done heel turning and it's only hard if your not reading the pattern right, or tired or have alot of things going on around you at the moment. I find that I do better if I am alone in a quite room. My knitting instructor always says ' You have it all in front of you, just read the pattern and it will work" I use to think ' HA! easy for her to say, she knows how to do this" But she is right. To honestly be good at knitting and enjoy it . You really need to learn to read the patterns. If you know all of the lingo, it's not that hard. Most good books will teach you the crocheting and knitting language. Learn what the symbols are .

Plus, Debby , I have to say that everytime I get to my heel flap and turning of the heel ,no matter how hard I try to read the pattern ,one tiny mistake and I end up 'Frogging' I am still learning myself. But I keep looking at the socks that I've made and I think "OMG, I made those!" I swear if it weren't for my sock DVD I'd be Frooging endlessly. The Hand Knitter's Guide to Knitting Socks,with Leslye Solomon. The DVD has been my guide to getting through a pair of socks .I find I use it less and less as I go.

Do Not Be Affraid To Frog!!! Remember it's only yarn and frogging is how we learn from our mistakes.

Learning how to correct your mistakes is a very scary thing. I use ' The Knitters Answer Book' and they have 'The Crochet Answer Book ' by Edie Eckman ,these are to very good books to have and keep with your knitting/crocheting.Solutions to every problem you'll ever face and answers to every question you'll ever ask!

What are some of your favorite yarns?

Mine is Plymouth Encore , right now.

Break the rules!
Forgive quickly!
Kiss slowly!
Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably..

JSCsmom
South Beach Superstar

Post by JSCsmom » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:55 pm

ALPACA!!!! :stars:

Idona
South Beach Friend

Post by Idona » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:07 am

Connie, I adore alpaca :drool: ! what have you made with it? I have found that if you spend alittle more on your yarn, the end product is amazing and it wears better.

Break the rules!
Forgive quickly!
Kiss slowly!
Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably..

JSCsmom
South Beach Superstar

Post by JSCsmom » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:26 am

So far, I have just played with the alpaca yarn, made a baby hat for a friend, stuff like that. I am looking forward to shearing time this spring, because then I will have my OWN alpaca yarn! My son wants a hat "made from 100% Crooked Creek Alpaca..." Never did make it to the store yesterday to buy needles... Any suggestions on sizes, brands, etc?

Idona
South Beach Friend

Post by Idona » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:41 am

Needle size would depend on the pattern and your Gauge.

Here is a list of the needles I have collected.

Boye Metal :sizes 6,8,10

Red Heart crystalites sizes 8,9,10 and 10 1/2

Wooden Needles by Takumi:
sizes, 8,10,15 [10in]
in [9in] 8,9,10
in[13in] size 2,3
################################
DPN'S:

Metal/SusanBates, size 7[10in]

Plastic /Bryspun size10 1/2 [9in]

Wooden/Takumi, sizes,1,2 [5in]
sizes,2,3,4,5,9[7in] size 6[7 1/2in]some of these are also made by Brittany
################################

Metal/ Boye NeedleMaster Interchangeable meedle system sizez 2-15 circulars

Circulars/Takumi, sizes 10 1/2 [24in] 13 [16in] 13 [24in]

addi NATURA,sizes7,[32in] 9[24in]

Boye metal size 17[29in] ,9[29in]
####################################
CROCHET HOOKS:
3.25-6.50MM D-K BY BOYE STEEL
1.9MM SIZE 5,1.30MMSIZE 10,1.65MM SIZE 7, 3/2.10MM

Break the rules!
Forgive quickly!
Kiss slowly!
Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably..

Justt
South Beach Superstar
Healthy Plan Start Date: 26 Oct 2007

Post by Justt » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:57 am

Just found your group! I'm a knitter. :knitting: For gifts this year I made a lot of scrub cloths - found the pattern online. Very simple, IMO. Made from cotton yarn, I like that they can be machine washed - unlike my nylon net scrubby. I paired them with some homemade goatmilk soaps ( I didn't make the soap)

I also made a few of the "stringy" scarves and am working on a chenille one now.

I make very simple sweaters to send to Guideposts Knit for Kids - they mail the sweaters to children in need. They have directions on line for the pattern - you basically knit a front and back and attach the two. I'm working on a varigated brown/orange/tan one now. I try to get 3 or 4 done a year. I'm a slow knitter.

Knitting for me is often seasonal. I get very into it in the winter and take a break come summer!

Alpaca yarn from your own animals sounds like quite an adventure! I'll be excited to hear how it goes.

I have 6yo twin granddaughters who have been asking me to teach them to knit. I bought them what I call beginner knitters - they are round plastic hoops with pegs that stick up. All they have to do is wrap the yarn around the pegs twice and with a "picker" lift the bottom yarn over the top. Twin #2 made a knitted hat for her Bitty Baby Doll! I was so proud of her. Twin #1 is having a problem with dropped stitches. I think I need to change her yarn to a coarser thicker yard and she'll do fine. I love that they wanted to learn to knit - and that I could teach them. Great memories!!

RJ

Idona
South Beach Friend

Post by Idona » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:46 pm

Welcome RJ to our little group. I love that you are teaching the Granbabies to knit.Guideposts Knit for Kids sounds great is it local?

Idona

Break the rules!
Forgive quickly!
Kiss slowly!
Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably..

yellobeuty
South Beach Superstar

Post by yellobeuty » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:18 pm

I want to knitt too! I don't know how and am not good at reading and learning. I need to see how it is done. maybe a video would do. I am going to check out the library!

Idona, I love knitted socks! a GF made me a pair and it is currently the only pair I can wear with my legs. I have bumps on my ankles and legs (like tumors) and real socks, stocking and tights hurt to much to wear.

wow great thread and a great motivator. can't eat and knitt at the same time. LOL
Forever Hopeful
mini goal to be 240
I have less then 100lbs to lose!!!
goal weight 155

food wasted is never as bad as a life wasted by food!

catwoman
South Beach Friend

Post by catwoman » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:25 pm

RJ, that's so wonderful that you could teach your grandchildren to knit. Maybe I'll be that lucky someday.

I have a story about yarn. At a craft show this year, there was a women who was spinning some wool made from dog fur. She actually had some hats and scarves made from people's pet fur. Cats and dogs - you can knit with it!!! I always thought my DH was just being funny when we'd brush the cats and then he'd say I could knit with the fur that so much came out. Apparently long-haired Calico is good stuff to knit with. But who knew their fur is grey underneath, and it's the undercoat that is required to knit with.

I'm just using Paton's Canadiana right now. It's a synthetic of some kind I think. Nothing special. Someday I dream of knitting something with angora. That would be my favourite yarn. Maybe I'll have a grand-daughter and I can knit her a little angora hat. There are pictures of me around 1 year old with a little angora hat with little cat ears on it. LOL

Debby

catwoman
South Beach Friend

Post by catwoman » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:26 pm

Yellow, most of the time knitting stores have classes in beginning knitting. Or schools do programs in the evenings for general interest stuff. Just a thought.

Justt
South Beach Superstar
Healthy Plan Start Date: 26 Oct 2007

Post by Justt » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:23 am

Idona wrote:Welcome RJ to our little group. I love that you are teaching the Granbabies to knit.Guideposts Knit for Kids sounds great is it local?

Idona

Guideposts Knit for Kids takes sweaters from all over the USA. I mail them to New York - which is their main headquarters. The sweaters are sent to other countries and some stay in the USA. It depends on the need. They are in their 10th year of this program and have received over 400,000 sweaters in that time!

Here's the link: http://www.knitforkids.org/

Guideposts is a Christian magazine - it's stories from people who have made changes in their lives sometimes due to hardships they overcame..... I find it uplifting to read. This past month's issue had Leslie Sansone (who does the Walk away the pounds videos that I love) on the cover.

RJ

Return to “Chit Chat”